[KLUG Advocacy] re: OT: uPNP

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Wed Apr 20 18:12:24 EDT 2005

> >You can disbable NetBIOS on a per-interface basis
> Unfortunately, that won't work, as I'd like to have this machine be a
> bit of a file server as well.

To the external network?

> Can you do something odd like give it 2
> IPs on the inside, one for samba, DNS, and DHCP, and the other for
> outbound NAT?

No, disable netbios for the external interface.

> >I'd consider ignoring ICMP a positive for a external facing interface.
> I suppose.  Half the time it wouldn't dial when I punched up a web or
> ftp session either, though.  On-demand is likely to be a problem,
> though, because there will be two Windows boxes behind it, and Windows
> boxes have a nasty habit of having "update software" (some of which
> blurs the line between legitimate update checks and spyware) that calls
> home regularly.  I think it will be more trouble than it's worth
> configure complicated rules explaining what IPs or protocols trigger
> dialing and which ones don't.

This is simplified by using a proxy;  simply setup a squid proxy on the
edge-device.  If the squid server requires authentication than all this
automatic gunk is automatically broken, which is beautiful.  And you get
a performance kick for free.  HTTP requests blocked by the proxy won't
invoke demand-dial since they will never reach the external facing
interface.

> >Seems normal, all the 56k noise is total nonsense; it is just this site of
> >impossible to ram 56k over a phone line - a T1 channel with clear-channel
> >encoding only does 64k,  add in the DAC/ADC process and the unbalanced
> >impedence of a POTS pair....  I've seen phone lines from buildings where I
> >could see the CO from the roof clock in at under 28k.
> The wiring's good.

I'm talking about the wiring buried in the dirt or dangling between dead
branchless trees.