[KLUG Advocacy] re: OT:uPNP

Mike Williams knightperson at zuzax.com
Thu Apr 21 15:42:46 EDT 2005

>From: Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam at whitemice.org>

>>> Unfortunately, that won't work, as I'd like to have this machine be a
>>> bit of a file server as well.
>>

>To the external network?

Good point.  Hadn't occurred to me that dialing would be triggered by
the outside interface, not the inside one.

>>> I suppose.  Half the time it wouldn't dial when I punched up a web or
>>> ftp session either, though.  On-demand is likely to be a problem,
>>> though, because there will be two Windows boxes behind it, and Windows
>>> boxes have a nasty habit of having "update software" (some of which
>>> blurs the line between legitimate update checks and spyware) that calls
>>> home regularly.  I think it will be more trouble than it's worth
>>> configure complicated rules explaining what IPs or protocols trigger
>>> dialing and which ones don't.
>>

>This is simplified by using a proxy;  simply setup a squid proxy on the
>edge-device.  If the squid server requires authentication than all this
>automatic gunk is automatically broken, which is beautiful.  And you get
>a performance kick for free.  HTTP requests blocked by the proxy won't
>invoke demand-dial since they will never reach the external facing
>interface.

Squid being the reccommended package?  One more thing for me to figure
out for this little project.  Is there a way to make browsers properly
autodetect that they need a proxy?  I've seen stuff like that on the
client side but have no idea how to set up a server that way.  Also, how
many obscure protocols work through a proxy, and what will have to be
routed through using regular NAT?

>>> The wiring's good.
>>

>I'm talking about the wiring buried in the dirt or dangling between dead
>branchless trees.

I know.  Overall, it is good enough to do 56k (40k or so really) if the
hardware at both ends is compatible.