[KLUG Advocacy] SuSe 9.3

Bruce Smith bruce at armintl.com
Thu Apr 21 15:09:08 EDT 2005

> > So I spent the $99 and upgraded to VMware-5 ...
>
> Yep, one company I have no problem sending money to.

Yeah, especially since it's my corporate Mastercard!  :-)

> And their prices are very reasonable.

True.

> > I first ran an upgrade from SuSE 9.2 to 9.3.  That was a total disaster!
>
> Yea, I NEVER to upgrades;  backup data, reinstall, restore data.

I've done a LOT of upgrades.  I think it's been getting worse lately.
And now that SuSE comes with almost everything I need in the stock
distro, it's not that bad to reinstall these days.

> > So I ran a fresh install this morning.  Things are MUCH better now!
> > My sound even works!  :-)
>
> Cool.

I still haven't got streaming video to work.  I went to movies.yahoo.com
and rottentomatoes.com and tried to play some movie trailers as a test.
Both sense the Realplayer plugin is installed, but either will play.
Firefox about:plugins says that Real is installed and enabled.  I even
tried installing the four optional multimedia packs in online-update,
but it's still not working.

Have you tried it?

> > Did anyone notice that Asterisk comes on SuSE 9.3?
>
> Nope, but cool.  Maybe someone can present on a simple Asterisk presentation
> and we can springboard the old driftwood project again.
>
> > And XEN?
>
> Cool, but it doesn't run Windows. :(

It says:  "A port of Windows XP was developed for an earlier version of
Xen, but is not available for release due to licence restrictions. "

I wonder how one goes about obtaining the port ...
Or porting a copy yourself ...
(legally of course!)  :-)

> But it would be an excellent topic for a presentation.

Yes.  If I ever give it a serious look, I'll do that.  Or if someone
beats me to it, that's fine too.

That's assuming it runs better than the UML that came on SuSE 9.2!

 - BS