[KLUG Advocacy] SuSe 9.3

Bruce Smith bruce at armintl.com
Fri Apr 22 08:44:46 EDT 2005

> My desktop upgrade, 9.1 to 9.3, left my network card, sound, and usb
> non-functional.  But with a fresh install (I don't format home so as to keep
> preferences and personal files) all things not related to previous
> preferences work splendidly.  The only issue so far with previous preferences
> has been Firefox.  Not sure what happened, but if I tried to bookmark a page,
> it crashed.  Go figure.

Downloading files with Firefox is flaky for me on 9.3.  On big files it
often dies in the middle without any error (check your MD5sum's!!!).
When I try to restart the transfer, it gets weirder, it appears to
APPEND to the aborted download, making the resulting file LARGER in size
than the actual file!  And some files it won't download at all!

I as trying to get a *.asc file to check the gpg signature on another
download, and I couldn't get it to download the file at all!  When
clicking on the file Firefox displayed a blank browser window.  When
right clicking on the file and telling it to save the file, it created
an empty (zero length) file as the download.  I ended up right clicking,

 - BS