[KLUG Advocacy] SuSe 9.3

Jon Smitley lunitix at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 22 00:11:23 EDT 2005

On Thursday 21 April 2005 11:10 pm, John Bridleman wrote:
> * Bruce Smith wrote:
> > I've done a LOT of upgrades.  I think it's been getting worse lately.
> > And now that SuSE comes with almost everything I need in the stock
> > distro, it's not that bad to reinstall these days.
>
> This one seemed incredibly easy. Was that due to 9.2 or 9.3?

My desktop upgrade, 9.1 to 9.3, left my network card, sound, and usb
non-functional.  But with a fresh install (I don't format home so as to keep
preferences and personal files) all things not related to previous
preferences work splendidly.  The only issue so far with previous preferences
has been Firefox.  Not sure what happened, but if I tried to bookmark a page,
it crashed.  Go figure.

> Mine too. The sound also works right away. In 9.2 I had to mess with the
> pcm and master volumes.
>
> > I still haven't got streaming video to work.  I went to movies.yahoo.com
> > and rottentomatoes.com and tried to play some movie trailers as a test.
> > Both sense the Realplayer plugin is installed, but either will play.
> > Firefox about:plugins says that Real is installed and enabled.  I even
> > tried installing the four optional multimedia packs in online-update,
> > but it's still not working.
> >
> > Have you tried it?
>
> Mine isn't working either. Adam has always said that he had mplayer working
> in 9.2. I did for certain codecs but not for all. --
> John Bridleman / www.bridleman.org

I also had Mplayer running under 9.1.  It played dvd's, wmv, quicktime no
problem, but nothing seems to work yet for 9.3. Oh Bother.

Minding of Madness
Jon