[KLUG Advocacy] A quick SuSe 9.3 As A Workstation Review

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Mon Apr 25 16:38:27 EDT 2005

> Then I did a "rm -fr ~/.wine*" and started over with your link (above).
> It gave me a different error, but IE and Outlook Express seem to run.
> I was able to open some web pages with IE, and my IMAP email with OE.

Cool, or really, ick!  But cool ick.

> Windows Media Player starts, but errors out because it can't find any
> sound device.  Is there some setup I need to do for that?

Mute the audio! :)  Thats what I did, then it doesn't try to open the
sound device.  I don't know how to create an audio device in WINE.  I
just use this for tested: yes, the content headers cause it to download
and opens the right thingy.

Also useful for making screenshots for documentation!  I no longer need
to VNC to a PC to see what the setting is called in Outlook.

And for kicks I put in my Office 2000 CD, and ran SETUP.EXE.  It
installed!  I launced Excel, said "Yep, thats Excel" and closed it.

> Also, do you know a URL where I can easily test if Active-X works?

Only sites that require sign-on;  most of our suppliers/vendors sites
are big gobs of Active-X.  If you find a public one let me know.

I'm still kind of shocked by this,  apparently WINE actually amounted to
something when we weren't looking.

> I can hardly wait to go out and get me some spyware and viruses now!
> Linux is so lacking in that area ...    ;-)

Exaclty.