[KLUG Advocacy] A quick SuSe 9.3 As A Workstation Review

Bruce Smith bruce at armintl.com
Mon Apr 25 16:54:39 EDT 2005

> > Windows Media Player starts, but errors out because it can't find any
> > sound device.  Is there some setup I need to do for that?
>
> Mute the audio! :)  Thats what I did, then it doesn't try to open the
> sound device.  I don't know how to create an audio device in WINE.  I
> just use this for tested: yes, the content headers cause it to download
> and opens the right thingy.

OK.

> Also useful for making screenshots for documentation!  I no longer need
> to VNC to a PC to see what the setting is called in Outlook.

Yeah, eliminates the need for VMware in some circumstances too!

> And for kicks I put in my Office 2000 CD, and ran SETUP.EXE.  It
> installed!  I launced Excel, said "Yep, thats Excel" and closed it.

Wow, I'm impressed!  I wonder if Word, PP, and Accel start/run ...

> > Also, do you know a URL where I can easily test if Active-X works?
>
> Only sites that require sign-on;  most of our suppliers/vendors sites
> are big gobs of Active-X.  If you find a public one let me know.

I'm not sure I even know what Active-X looks like.  Whenever I run
across a page that won't work in Linux, I just say screw it and move on.

> I'm still kind of shocked by this,  apparently WINE actually amounted to
> something when we weren't looking.

It's beginning to look that way!

I think the crossover guys a lot of the work, and some other people
"borrowed" some of that work to make a not-so-friendly equivalent.
(just a inference from something I read)

 - BS