[KLUG Advocacy] A quick SuSe 9.3 As A Workstation Review

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Mon Apr 25 17:23:21 EDT 2005

> > Also useful for making screenshots for documentation!  I no longer need
> > to VNC to a PC to see what the setting is called in Outlook.
> Yeah, eliminates the need for VMware in some circumstances too!

Yep.

> > And for kicks I put in my Office 2000 CD, and ran SETUP.EXE.  It
> > installed!  I launced Excel, said "Yep, thats Excel" and closed it.
> Wow, I'm impressed!  I wonder if Word, PP, and Accel start/run ...

Word runs, I entered some text, change the font size, style, etc... save
it.  Exited work.  Started word, opened my file - it was all still
there.  Hitting print brought up a print dialog with all the CUPS
printers listed, and it actually printed, in color.

Access opens but freezes up pretty fast. Oh, well.

Powerpoint seems to run fine.  I threw some crap on some slides, saved
it, closed pp, opened it and opened the file.  It seemed fine.

> > > Also, do you know a URL where I can easily test if Active-X works?
> > Only sites that require sign-on;  most of our suppliers/vendors sites
> > are big gobs of Active-X.  If you find a public one let me know.
> I'm not sure I even know what Active-X looks like.

It looks like windows, but in a web page.