[KLUG Advocacy] Novell 'openning' SuSe

Rusty Yonkers therustycook at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 4 09:39:38 EDT 2005

It actually sounds like a pretty nice setup depending on how they
roll it out.  Sounds like they will keep a little more control than
Fedora while still getting the benefits of many minds...

I recently loaded SuSE 9.3.  It is pretty nice.  The desktop is
definately geared toward getting users comfortable with the Linux
desktop environment.  I think they went a little overboard in a few
areas but for the most part it is pretty nice.

The one thing that I noticed so far with SuSE in general, and SuSE
since Novell in particular is that there seems to be a bit more QA
and things tend to work better without glitches "out of the box".  I
am happy to see that the DVD iso is available for download for free.
They list it as eval but that simply means that there is no support.
Same with Novell Desktop (which I want to load a box up with the
newest version of that).

I think, depending on how implementation continues, that between
Apple and Linux Microsoft is vulnerable for loosing a fair amount of
market share.  It will take a long time to really make major inroads
but it is possible that they will not be the only choice.  I am
hoping that Apple ships their Intel solution so you can dual boot
between Windows and OS X (and hopefully Linux).  I would LOVE a box
that I could run all three OSes on!!!! I would be in geek heaven!

Hmmm then I guess that maybe even one could run OS X in a VMWare
session maybe??? I wonder if, once OS X is on the Intel hardware, if
VMWare could or would port their product to OS X?

--- Andrew Thompson <apthmpsn at imagerie.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-08-03 at 10:07, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> > "Novell Plans to Open SuSE Linux Pro to Community"
> > http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1843097,00.asp
> >
> > Is this the end of the last solid LINUX distro?
> >
> > "In the Fedora community-based approach, the development cycle is
> driven
> > not just by the company's engineers working on Linux, but by the
> larger
> > open-source community. The result is a cutting-edge Linux for
> > enthusiasts."
> >
> > Gack,
> >
> > I really don't want to have to switch distrs AGAIN.
>
> But to which?
>
> --
> Andrew Thompson <apthmpsn at imagerie.com>
> The Imagerie (www.imagerie.com)

Russell C. Yonkers Jr.
CNE, MCP, A+, CCNA, Linux+, Server+, Network+ certified