[KLUG Advocacy] RE: Adoption of Wine WAS: Novell 'opening' SuSe

Greg Mason gmason at fast-mail.org
Mon Aug 8 15:05:32 EDT 2005

> And why no one in this thread suggested it.  They question in this
> sub-thread related to Apple;  a company I personally expect to be
> little
> more than a memory in ten years.  Microsoft will still be around, and
> maybe by then shipping some really top notch products.

Many, many people have been predicting the demise of Apple, for many,
many years. Apple is still around... Personally, I don't think Apple
will be able to pull off Microsoftian market domination (because it's
already been done), but I don't think they are going to shrink away
to nothing, either. They have some good (although slightly weird)
leadership, and some awesome products. One thing I'm not sure of,
however, is whether the Macintosh line will last for 10 years... I
can somewhat see the move to Intel chips as a move to get out of the
hardware biz, and into the software and hardware accessory business.
There's a quote from Steve Jobs back when he was at NeXT, where he
was asked what he'd do if he were in charge of Apple. He said he'd
milk the Mac user base for everything they are worth, and use that
cash to develop the next big thing. Look at what we have right now:
the iPod (and iTunes), and it looks as if Apple and Intel are going
to team up for other entertainment products. Where does that leave
the Macintosh? Apple's been making more and more of its money from
non-macintosh sales (however, the Mac still makes up most of Apple's
income).

-Greg