[KLUG Advocacy] Novell 'openning' SuSe

Greg Mason gmason at fast-mail.org
Sat Aug 20 14:03:12 EDT 2005

On Aug 15, 2005, at 4:06 PM, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

>> because it is cheaper.  Longhorn will bring many of the
>> "innovations"*
>> of the OS/X UI to Windows.
>>

> A guy here acquired and installed a Vista beta.  Well... you Mac guys
> have nothing to fear, all the cool features I saw l-o-n-g ago on a
> Longhorn box are mysteriously absent.  Serious case of "Nothing to see
> here, please move along."  It is like XP with a different theme.  But
> all the Win32 apps, including Firefox still worked.

Well, at least it's not "fisher price" anymore... From what i've been
able to gather about Longhorn-er-Vista is that at best, it would
catch up with OS X. And since they keep on cutting features, my guess
is it'll just be just what XP is, with a few bolted on features.

I've also read an account about how Microsoft keeps changing
directions internally, and keeps switching the projects the
developers are working on... That's a GREAT way to keep your morale
up. And people wonder why Windows sucks so much? This is also prolly
why it's taken them this long to crank out so little.
> IE7 on the other hand actually works!  PNGs and CSS, at least in the
> light testing we did.  Stop/Refresh are now one button which is weird
> and the tabbed browsing is kind of awkward.  I've heard there are
> still
> some problems with PNGs and CSS but it was able to load some stuff for
> us that IE6 throws up on.

Found on some random Firefox forum a post about 1 useful thing about
IE7: you can use it to disable IE's (and Windows Explorer's) ability
to access the Internet.

-Greg