[KLUG Advocacy] Presentation request.

Adam Tauno Williams adam at morrison-ind.com
Thu Dec 15 09:42:26 EST 2005

> if you like gnome keep using it, just because Linus doesn't like it does
> that mean no one can use it.  Be a rebel and use XFCE or enlightenment.
> The whole point of the linux/open source movement is that we are not
> forced to use one WM or any software, exercize your freedom of choice.

I'm not terribly inclined to place a great deal of weight in a kernel
developers opinion of a desktop environment.  Especially one who
repeatedly says he doesn't really use any of those applications.

The key to Linus' frustration is -
"And to me, gnome is killing itself as an open source project, because
it
ends up dismissing exactly that thing. Having strict UI rules ("The HID
says so-and-so") that are really a religion that you're not allowed to
question. The whole notion that things are supposed to be done just one
way is antithetical to what makes open source successful in the first
place."
-http://lists.osdl.org/pipermail/desktop_architects/2005-December/000486.html
- in which case I have no problem being in flat-out disagreement.  Linus
is wrong.  He is a developer,  he deals with technically proficient
people all day.  His vision of what makes a desktop usable is wrong.

"I think the KDE development process has been a lot more "lively", and
think a _lot_ of the reason for that has been that they haven't allowed
the "interface nazi" kind of stifling of what people feel they need to do. "
-http://lists.osdl.org/pipermail/desktop_architects/2005-December/000486.html

Also wrong here;  very little of the important stuff happening on the
desktop is how to layout the stinkin' interface.  It is about how to get
apps to install seemlessly, interoperate, and discover things about the
system.  No one has a "need" to put the OK button over there instead of
over here.

"And encourage them to make things configurable, so that the system
integrators and distributors can then make it all come together as a
more unified whole. Maybe it won't be _totally_ unified, but what you win
from allowing people to be people _more_ than makes up for it"
-http://lists.osdl.org/pipermail/desktop_architects/2005-December/000486.html

Nope.

"And don't tell me that Gnome as a project hasn't alienated a
lot of developers, because some of them have been emailing me privately as
a result of this flamewar."
- http://lists.osdl.org/pipermail/desktop_architects/2005-December/000486.html

Gee, a pissed of developer?  Huh, I've never met one of those....

And no one stops you from writing any kind of GNOME app you want, and
releasing it.  Just don't expect it to ever get included in GNOME
proper.

> > I think a good idea for a future presentation would be:
> > "Switching from Gnome to KDE".

I'll skip that one!

> > Considering Linus's recent remarks, I'm sure all of us KLUG Gnome
> > users will be making the switch to KDE soon.  And I expect SuSE
> > to drop Gnome support in the next release (and lay off all the
> > ximian guys).  When Linus speaks, we all listen!
> > Maybe one of our [few] KDE users can show us Gnome guys the light?
> > I'm looking forward to making the switch, after the presentation!
> >  - BS
> > P.S.  Oh crap, wrong mailing list.  Well ... maybe not?   ;-)

:)