[KLUG Advocacy] Future Proofing

Adam Tauno Williams adam at morrison-ind.com
Thu Feb 10 10:19:47 EST 2005

One solution vendor pitching to us is using the argument that going with
M$ based solution is "future proof" (I know, I almost giggled) because
the Microsoft platform isn't ever going to 'go away' [ Is the
implication that others are? ].  Apparently he/they see the
Win16->Win32, VB4->VB5->VB6, NT->2000->Longhorn, Win32->.NET  as the
progression of one platform and not a company repeatedly screwing over
its developers.  Fortunately for us even our suits know enough to roll
the eyes when slapped in the face by a term like 'future proof'.

Anyway I found this amusing video from Novell while trolling around for
'future proofing' stuff.

http://www.novell.com/linux/windowstolinux/publicservice/