[KLUG Advocacy] Future Proofing

Robert G. Brown bob at whizdomsoft.com
Fri Feb 11 01:07:44 EST 2005

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 10:19:47 -0500, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

>One solution vendor pitching to us is using the argument that going with
>M$ based solution is "future proof" (I know, I almost giggled) ....

Almost? Fighting to suppress maniacal hysterics is perhaps the best
many could do under such circumstances.

"Future Proofing" seems like another one of those pithy labels that
are there to impress those woh lack experience or insight into the
true nature of the lifecycles of these things (which is still emerging,
I might add).

>because the Microsoft platform isn't ever going to 'go away' ...
Sure. Like Eastern Airlines, or Pan American, the FIRST airline to
promote tickets to the Moon (or was it earth orbit?). Similarly,
The Bell System, Bethleham Steel... let's not forget Czechoslavkia,
Yugoslavia, and the USSR...

Things change. What is pervasive today will vanish someday. Our
experience proves that software (especially application software)
has a longer life cycle than many of the organizations that originated
them.

>[ Is the implication that others are? ].
Yes, everything they are not promoting is fragile and may blow away at
any moment, while what they are shilling is solid and everlasting, a
butress upon which the customer can build for a better future.

>Apparently he/they see the Win16->Win32, VB4->VB5->VB6, NT->2000->Longhorn,
>Win32->.NET  as the progression of one platform...
Which is how it gtes presented, usually by those who have a stake in
presenting events as if producers of such systems are going from one
strength to another, bringing vast new insights with every release...

>...and not a company repeatedly screwing over its developers.
No, of course not!

The reality, IMO, is that the developers are along for the ride. They
are not usually more or less "screwed" than anyone else, but they feel
it sooner and often somewhat rougher than anyone else.

>Fortunately for us even our suits know enough to roll
>the eyes when slapped in the face by a term like 'future proof'.
Good for you!

>Anyway I found this amusing video from Novell while trolling around for
>'future proofing' stuff.
>
>http://www.novell.com/linux/windowstolinux/publicservice

Save this one for a time when you're down, and that new SDK seems like
more work than its worth to get going...

						Regards,