[KLUG Advocacy] Short & Sweet

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Sun Feb 13 09:31:56 EST 2005

> >Found a nicely done and very short (4 pages) document on "Linux vs.
> >Windows."
> >http://www.rentalresult.com/Rentalinfo.htm
> >Click the "Linux vs. Windows" link.
> Interesting, and all too brief.
> Good for top management to see. Suffers
> perhaps from a bit too much of the "bandwagon" notion,

Yes, but suits have very short attention spans.  And when dealing with
people without sufficient understanding to make a meaningful
determination about a topic it is really a game of casting the more
effective glamour.

> but if it is an effective tool, what of it?

Yep.

> I have (and perhaps suffer from) the notion that the "fact" that "everyone"
> else is using something isn't a compelling reason for me to adopt it.

Which places you in a very small minority.  Suits are extremely
risk-averse,  and 'with-everyone' almost always looks safer.

> >Actually found this while looking at a possible replacement for our core
> >business system so it was a pleasant surprise.
> Looked at Samco? [http://www.samco.com]

Have you any experience with Samco?  (I've forwarded the link to the
suite evaluation guy since it does list service management and leasing,
which is where allot of 'ERP' type systems fall down, most I think are
oriented toward manufacturing).