[KLUG Advocacy] Apple using Intel chips ...

Greg Mason gmason at fast-mail.org
Sun Jun 12 00:11:54 EDT 2005

> I'm hoping that Apple will surprise us with something new and great,
> when they come out with the new CPU's.
>
> I was thinking of buying a Mac-mini for home before the CPU change
> announcement, now I'm thinking I'll wait for x86, or a really good
> clearance sale on the PPC stuff.  :-)
>
> What's everyone else thinking on that subject?  Seems like that
> kind of
> thinking could really hurt Apple in the short term.  (as Cringley
> mentioned in his article)

I'm thinking that there might be some sales on Apple's site for the
PowerPC machines when the intel machines first came out.

When the G4 iMac came out, the "snow" G3 iMac was on sale for $600 on
Apple's site, for quite a while.

Also, I'd imagine that when Intel-machines come out, a bunch of
people are going to be ditching their PowerPC-based Macs to upgrade
to Intel-based machines.

Also, on the other hand, there's going to be support for PowerPC-
based machines for quite some time now (i'd imagine at least 3-4
years after 2007).

-Greg