[KLUG Advocacy] Impressions of SuSe 10

Bruce Smith bruce at armintl.com
Sun Nov 13 12:19:41 EST 2005

> > > Set an install source to this mirror:  http://packman.inode.at/suse/10.0
> > > (I couldn't find any American mirrors, North or South!)
> >
> > Yep,  I set that as a software repository and mplayer installed without
> > incident.  It didn't complain about any dependencies or anything.  But I
> > haven't tried doing the xmms mp3 thing or anything else yet.
>
> Ah ha!  Banshee will play MP3s, and every other audio file I've tries,
> right out of the box.

Speaking of this thread, here's an UPDATE on my 10.0 complaints:

I found what was causing the problem with my workspace switcher applet.
It only seems to puke when you have "ssh-add" in your gnome session
startup.  I removed that, edited "/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc", uncommented
the ssh-add line there, and everything works fine now.

I believe that's resolves the rest of my major issues with SuSE 10.0.
I even upgraded my user at work, giving him gnome instead of KDE!  :-)

Speaking of Gnome & KDE, I'm on the OpenSuSE mailing lists, and people
have been raising holy-hell about SuSE's recent announcement to switch
to Gnome as their primary desktop.  Can't please everybody I guess.  :-)

 - BS