[KLUG Advocacy] Impressions of SuSe 10

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Mon Nov 14 10:37:30 EST 2005

>>> Speaking of Gnome & KDE, I'm on the OpenSuSE mailing lists, and people
>>> have been raising holy-hell about SuSE's recent announcement to switch
>>> to Gnome as their primary desktop.  Can't please everybody I guess.  :-)
>> Gee, if they couldn't see that one coming where were their heads?
> I don't know if they saw it coming or not, but lets give them the
> benefit of the doubt and say they noticed the purchase of Ximian by
> Novell.  Do you think even the most obvious of signs would keep people
> from complaining LOUDLY?

Well, of course not.  I just thought maybe the KDE people would be so
hourse by
now that they couldn't do anything other than squeek and flail. :)

> You can't change anything without someone complaining.  And the
> bigger the change, the more bitching ...
> I did read an article saying that all the gripes may have changed
> Novell's mind about including KDE in future releases (but Gnome is
> still the primary  desktop - for now).

Do they realize they are only talking about their commerical enterprise
distributions?  Not OpenSuSe which will continue to contains lots of wierdo
stuff not included in the enterprise versions.

>> GNOME, in part just thanks to Evolution, has been the clear winner for
>> the corporate workstation for awhile  (it also has a HIG that is kept to
>> religiously, it has excellent accessibility and internationalization,
>> etc...).
> Yes, but it's a good thing that apps are interchangable between
> desktops, since KDE is still superior in some areas (i.e. k3b).

Sure, but how much are most apps really GNOME or KDE?  Most just use
the widget
set found in one or the other.  If it isn't using EDS or Bonobo or VFS, etc...
it isn't really a GNOME app, it is just a GTK app.  And if doesn't use
kioslaves, DCOP, etc...  it isn't really a KDE app, it is just a Qt app.  Of
course, another requirement of KDE apps is to use large gaudy icons and
have as
metrosexual a UI theme as possible.