[KLUG Advocacy] Impressions of SuSe 10

Bruce Smith bruce at armintl.com
Mon Nov 14 10:08:07 EST 2005

>>> Gee, if they couldn't see that one coming where were their heads?
>>
>> I don't know if they saw it coming or not, but lets give them the
>> benefit of the doubt and say they noticed the purchase of Ximian by
>> Novell.  Do you think even the most obvious of signs would keep people
>> from complaining LOUDLY?
>

> Well, of course not.  I just thought maybe the KDE people would be so
> hourse by
> now that they couldn't do anything other than squeek and flail. :)

Let's not underestimate them.  :-)

>> You can't change anything without someone complaining.  And the
>> bigger the change, the more bitching ...
>> I did read an article saying that all the gripes may have changed
>> Novell's mind about including KDE in future releases (but Gnome is
>> still the primary  desktop - for now).
>

> Do they realize they are only talking about their commerical enterprise
> distributions?  Not OpenSuSe which will continue to contains lots of
> wierdo
> stuff not included in the enterprise versions.

I don't know if they realize that or not.  I haven't been paying much
attention to the thread on the mailing list.

Actually I didn't realize it myself, since being a gnome guy, I haven't
been paying a lot of attention the the whole thing.

>>> GNOME, in part just thanks to Evolution, has been the clear winner for
>>> the corporate workstation for awhile  (it also has a HIG that is
>>> kept to
>>> religiously, it has excellent accessibility and internationalization,
>>> etc...).
>>
>> Yes, but it's a good thing that apps are interchangable between
>> desktops, since KDE is still superior in some areas (i.e. k3b).
>

> Sure, but how much are most apps really GNOME or KDE?  Most just use
> the widget
> set found in one or the other.  If it isn't using EDS or Bonobo or
> VFS, etc...
> it isn't really a GNOME app, it is just a GTK app.  And if doesn't use
> kioslaves, DCOP, etc...  it isn't really a KDE app, it is just a Qt
> app.  Of
> course, another requirement of KDE apps is to use large gaudy icons
> and have as
> metrosexual a UI theme as possible.

Speaking of icons, the new evolution icon in SuSE 10 gnome really
sucks!  It a little mostly-white thing that looks like half the other
icons.  A real pain to find on my panel. I much prefer the old
yellow-orange'ish ball thing from previous SuSE distros.  (yeah, I
should probably find the old icon and manually change mine)

 - BS