[KLUG Advocacy] Re: [KLUG Members] Sabotaging Linux?

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Wed Oct 19 17:38:12 EDT 2005

> > > Stopping Linux desktop adoption sabotage, part three:
> > > <http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1134909,00.html>

1. "U.S. players are still making enough money from their Microsoft
connections that they feel comfortable with the status quo."

Probably true.  What I fear is the "U.S. players" are so risk-averse
across the board that we'll be left in the world's dust.

2. "It's a good possibility, however, that a new-styled OHM will emerge
out of China, where labor costs are low, and the desire to forge ahead
is stronger than it is today in America."

Or India, Vietnam, etc...  And this isn't just about "labor costs",  the
"desire to forge ahead" is very important.  Everyone focuses on
lower-wages when it comes to talking about out sourcing, but what if,
just hypothetically that Indian worker is better trained, better
managed, and more productive?

3. "ve heard rumblings that Chinese manufacturers might establish new
retail operations throughout North America, Europe and Asia"

Bring it on!  Please.  Because what we have stinks.

4. "Will China be the hub of future IT innovation and consumerism?"

Having a third of the worlds population doesn't hurt either.  Just by
the numbers they should be the hub of everything.

5. "If I understand Novell's strategy correctly and my anticipation of
the market is correct, Novell is positioned for a meteoric rise. That
success could come through local OHM regenerative growth"

And it won't be accidental.  Novell is everywhere you look now;  up from
a 'remember those guys' just a couple of years ago.  Of course betting
the house on Open Source / LINUX is/was *GUTSY*!  They've made an
all-or-nothing wager;  I hope it pays of big for them - but it might
not.

6. "Widespread adoption of Linux desktops and OSS is going to happen.
It's going to happen with or without the help of U.S. IT vendors and
electronics retailers. Surely, there must be someone in North America
with the entrepreneurship, the vision and the determination to take
advantage of this opportunity before it is too late"

Eh?  I can buy a computer designed or even assembled in the United
States today?  No.  This opportunity is long past,  which I guess is
where the honorable Terpstra and I disagree most.

7. "Consumers and IT professionals, this is your call to action"

EXACTLY!  And this is why KLUG exists - EVER SINGLE PERSON WHO READ THIS
SERIES OF ARTICLES AND AGREED WITH EVEN 2/3 OF IT SHOULD BECOME A
SUPPORTING MEMBER!   And, of course, you should volunteer to present at
meetings.  Want to get the message of Open Source out there?  There is
no better channel than your local user group.  If not, then you are just
another whiner.