[KLUG Advocacy] Re: [KLUG Members] Sabotaging Linux?

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Sun Oct 23 18:57:10 EDT 2005

> Walmart carries machines with Xandros and machines with Linspire.
> Unfortunately they are only available on-line and clerks (aka
> "associates") in the computer sections of the stores (sample size = 1)
> don't seem to know about them. Walmart also carries a range of PCs w/o
> OSes (also on-line only).
> http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catalog.gsp?cat=231785&path=0%3A3944%
> 3A3951%3A41937%3A231785

What irks me about these is that they are all goof-ball distributions
that either make promises they can't keep (Xandros "highly-compatible
with Windows") or weird hacked-in commercial models (Linspire, the
distribution previously known as Lindows).  So someone tries one of
these, asks a question on 99.44% of LINUX forums/lists and just gets
either (a) ignored or (b) sent off on a wild goose chase with a fix that
works on real distributions ( REAL == [ Debian | Fedora before FC4 |
SuSe | Ubuntu ]; and only Ubuntu if I am feeling generous at the
moment).