[KLUG Advocacy] PGP & Hushmail On NPR

Mark Jones mj.klug at ccagent.com
Fri Feb 24 13:41:43 EST 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 09:00 -0500, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> > Yes, I caught it prior to reading any of the messages in this thread. It
> > seems that the emphasis was on the point that encrypted e-mail has not
> > caught on, and almost no one uses it. they did point out that Outlook
> > supports PGP, and that a number of government users are set up for it.
>
> I wasn't aware that Outlook supported PGP,  this would be a very nice
> change of events  Or maybe they are referring to something added via a
> plug-in.   I know that both Horde and Squirrel webmail support PGP/GPG.

I've had PGP integrated with Outlook since 1998.  Here is a list of
features from my win98 machine.

§    Email plugins. One of the most convenient ways to use PGP is
through one of the popular email applications supported by the PGP
plug-ins. With these applications, you can encrypt and sign as well as
decrypt and verify your messages while you are composing and reading
your mail with a simple click of a button.

§    PGPtray.  PGPtray is a convenient means for launching the various
PGP utilities. Located in the System Tray, PGPtray enables you to open
the PGPkeys window, the Options dialog, PGPdisk, or PGPtools. In
addition, if you need to encrypt or decrypt files, you can do so
directly from Windows Explorer by right-clicking files and choosing the
appropriate PGP menu option.

§    PGPtools. If you are using an email application that is not
supported by the plug-ins, you can easily encrypt the text of the
message using PGPtools. PGPtools enables you to encrypt and sign files
on the hard disk of your computer for secure storage, and to securely
wipe files from your hard disk so that sensitive data can’t be retrieved
with disk recovery software.

§    PGPdisk.  PGPdisk enables you to set aside an area of disk space
for storing your sensitive data. For more information on PGPdisk, see
the help topics that accompany the PGPdisk application.

§    PGPnet. PGPnet is a landmark product in the history of PGP. PGPnet
secures all Internet communications between itself and any other machine
running PGPnet using the industry standard IPSEC (Internet Protocol
Security) and IKE (Internet Key Exchange) protocols. It is also
interoperable with other IPSEC products that implement the standard.

© 1998  Networks Associates Technology, Inc.