[KLUG Advocacy] Re: Ow, ow, ow

Adam Tauno Williams advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Mon, 23 Dec 2002 14:08:01 -0500

>Normally, the NY Times is so much better than:
>The first generation of the Internet -- called the Arpanet -- consisted
>of electronic mail and file transfer software that connected people to
>people. The second generation connected people to databases and other
>information via the World Wide Web. Now a new generation of software
>connects computers directly to computers.
>http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/23/technology/23PEEK.html

Wow, so NYT is now accepting articles from out-of-work Ziff Davis Authots? :)

>Extended Markup Language, or XML, t

Come on, at least get the acronyms right.

>It was created by software designers at companies like Microsoft, Sun
>Microsystems and I.B.M., as well as independent Silicon Valley programmers.

Good thing none of those ferners' were involved in the development of XML.  Just
good red-blooded American "Silicon Valley programmers".  No mention of SGML, and
the heavily govenment funding that backed it, and basically have us XML?

Too bad there really isn't anything in this article worthy of serious criticism.

And they expect to flag a group of people who take flight lessons in different
cities across the country? Oh, man.  Do they have any idea how many people take
flight lessons in the USA every year?  How many of those are foriegn?  Get real.

But this could be a boon for the Grand Rapids economy.  We have miles and miles
and miles of geologically stable abondoned mines beneath our beloved city, we
can fill them up with (say 10,000?) IBM mainframes to crunch all that trivia.
What a tax base!  Maybe they'll actually fix my road.....

Ah!  But then I'd probably get arrested because I've studied all the ways to
sneak into those mines... Nah, my road is just fine. :)