[KLUG Advocacy] One year anniversary

Wesley Leonard advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Sat, 28 Dec 2002 11:03:08 -0500 (EST)

About a year ago I moved from Kalamazoo to Holland, MI.  I brought my
trusty server, hooked it up, turned it on, and continued my operations.
Sometime last night this server--Megatron--rolled over to 365 days of
uptime.  Here's the output of the uptime command:
[marshall@megatron marshall]$ uptime
 10:46am  up 365 days, 16:44,  2 users,  load average: 0.40, 0.40, 0.36

Wow!  Pretty neat.  This thing is one of those AMD 486s which runs at
133Mhz.  It's got 48 MB of RAM, a 3GB disk, and not much else.
Oh, and Megatron doesn't just sit around doing nothing.  Megatron is the
Internet gateway/firewall, web server, database server, web-cam
operator/host, ssh server for remote access, X10 operator for automated
lighting, and probably a few other tasks that I'm forgetting.
Megatron is current running a custom 2.4.3 Kernel.

I really enjoy seeing processes from LAST YEAR:

[marshall@megatron marshall]$ ps aux
USER       PID %CPU %MEM   VSZ  RSS TTY      STAT START   TIME COMMAND
root         1  0.0  0.1  1400   76 ?        S     2001   5:44 init [3]

Hehe...  I've been putting off hardware and software updates until I
achieved the magical one year.  I wanted to share this with everybody.
This is one of the many reasons I've stuck with Linux over the years.
happy computing!
--
Wesley Leonard

http://pacdemon.org
http://westmichigancomputing.com

"Rather than form a federation with Microsoft and work with what we had
already created, there was this notion that the world should be offered an
alternative."    -- Craig Mundie, CTO of Microsoft Corporation