[KLUG Advocacy] A User Leaving

Adam Williams advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
14 Jul 2002 22:01:23 -0400

>>There is a list of "10 worst at" -
>>http://people.trustcommerce.com/~adam/top10/wrong.html
>>I don't agree with the list completely but it is more specific than the
>>"user leaving" article.
>>1. No 'best' browser.
>Apparently he doesn't appreciate "choice".
>>Maybe,  I don't have the problem with fonts that he reports.
>>2. Prompting for a filesystem scan.
>>Nope, use a journalized file system.
>Really.  I haven't seen that "problem" in a LONG time.
>>5. Cleaner redraws.
>>Again, I don't experience this problem.
>I don't either, running Linux on about a dozen different video cards.

The other guy complained about this too.  There must be something to
it.  But at work I'm using a crappy Sis530 and don't have the problem.
At home I'm using P90s with $5 Matrox Millenium II cards (and X is
remote) and I don't have this problem.  It seems I should see this if
anybody does.  The thought of spending $100 on video card gives me
hives.  And it isn't like I don't have ALOT of windows open.

>>9. No common editor which supports "soft wrapping."
>>joe?
>nedit?

And the list goes on.

>>10. No easy way to configure X - especially change resolution on the
>>fly.
>>Yes,  this is resolved in XFree4.2 I'm told.  Including some support for
>>on-the-fly resolution changes.
>Redhat 7.3 comes with XF 4.2, and I haven't noticed any difference,
>but I haven't really looked either.  What do I have to do to make
>those on-the-fly resolution changes?

Beats me how to use it.  I've just been told by a reliable source that
it is there.  Someone also said it is available in limbo (RH7.4 beta) so
we'll see.  It isn't something I ever want to do,  but OK,  seems
important to quite a few people.  (I figure once I configure X, then X
is configured).