[KLUG Advocacy] A User Leaving

Adam Williams advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 07:40:37 -0400 (EDT)

>>>Again, I don't experience this problem.
>>I don't either, running Linux on about a dozen different video cards.
>The other guy complained about this too.  There must be something to
>it.  But at work I'm using a crappy Sis530 and don't have the problem.
>At home I'm using P90s with $5 Matrox Millenium II cards (and X is
>remote) and I don't have this problem.  It seems I should see this if
>anybody does.  The thought of spending $100 on video card gives me
>hives.  And it isn't like I don't have ALOT of windows open.

Ok, I figured it out.  I-D-E!!!  I diddled about,  and on my only box with
IDE in it, I removed all the hdparm parameters.  Mouse and GUI performance
tanked.  Interupt unmasking seems to be the one.  Explains why I don't see
it on my really slow diskless boxes... nothing is dragging on the
processor.