[KLUG Advocacy] Re: [KLUG Members] CIPA unconstitutional

Adam Williams advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
04 Jun 2002 13:17:16 -0400

>Good suggestion on separate machines for porn.  Don't forget to make
>that room all stainless steel so you can hose it out.  On a difference
>of opinion, I don't think we should just do as we please.  There must be
>accountability for your actions and at times the actions of others.  You
>ever notice how you can be outside and you don't realize it's getting
>late until all of the street lights kick on.  Then you realize that it's
>dark out.  Society is much the same way. It's getting darker.  You can't
>see it in transition, but step into the "light" and evaluate where we
>were 60 years ago.

Teen pregnancy is LOWER than it was in the eighties/early-nineties.
The divorce rate is declining.
The rate of new AIDS cases is lower than it was in the
eighties/early-nineties.

60 years ago you don't even know what the teen pregnancy rate was,
because they we're "shipped off" and hidden.  60 years ago a minority
person couldn't attend a decent school. 60 years ago dozens of black
churches were burned every year.

There wasn't porn 60 years ago?

This "darkening" theory is not useful as an instrument of real debate,
it is general, vague, and unsubstantiated.

There are serious problems.  We stopped small pox, the black death,
etc... Some old problems are gone,  some problems are still around,  new
problems will arrive.  A general trend is pretty hard to construct.
(Except the blazin' morons who thought thousands of nuclear and
biological weapons were a good idea)

>Most want to look at all of the achievements over
>the years, but let's look at other developments.  The violence in
>schools.

New?

>The types of crimes that are committed.

New?

>The collective morals of our society.

I'm not even sure there is such a thing as "collective morals",
certainly not of this diverse society.

>It's pretty sobering to extrapolate those findings to
>where we will be 60 years from now.

It is sobering, depressing even.  And worth celebrating.  Such is the
beautiful agony of life.