[KLUG Advocacy] New hard drives?

Jeff Palmer advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Sat, 23 Nov 2002 22:44:02 -0500

i'm liking WD.... but then again i was never bitten by any of their problems
either....

seagate Baracuda ATA IV is a nice drive...

the 7200 RPM Maxtors seem to be holding up well despite my general dislike
for maxtor drives.. and my two biggest complaints about older maxtors have
been fixed (Really loud seeks... and slower than dog manure in feburary)
and there is a maxtor in the house... (20Gb 5400 rpm) it's  so much better
than the slightly older maxtor it replaced that there's just no call for
it...

personally at this state i think i'd go with one of the three...  and yes i
used to recomend IBMs....  i never really recomended a fujitsu to anyone
though... never trusted them...    and my 45Gb 7200rpm 75GXP IBM has never
even made a bad noise.... always works perfectly... my dads on the other
hand.........................

The IBM's seem to be be very thermal dependant.... most dead IBM's i've seen
have come out of cramped cases without enough airflow over the drive.....
seeing as it was the hottest running IDE drive while it was in production
that doesn't seem like a good idea to me...  also the ones that die usuall
have a slightly different revision on the logic board from most of the ones
that are still working right....  just a few observations that may be of use
to anyone with a 75GXP series IBM deathst-.. err uhh. deskstar.....

at this point in the game though.... i would most likely buy a western
digital... just because they're fast... have big buffers (in the JB
versions..... 8 Mb)  fairly easy to find..... and i've never had the
slightest bit of trouble with a WD

of course.. i've only ever had 4 drives die.... (non of which in my primary
system thankfully) a Micrapolis... sorry, micropolis scsi drive (but i think
they all died)  a seagate 1Gb IDE drive (you know... those reallly thin 3.5
inch ones??)  a conner 40mb (stiction/bad bearing....  it still tranfered
dater perfectly once you finally got it to spin)  and a 2.5 gig fujitsu.....
(the most modern drive i've had die on me and part of the reason i'm not a
big fan of fujitsu drives)

anyway....   also go read some reviews....

the 8mb buffer WDs seen to be a good choice now.... as do the fluid dynamic
bearing equipped 7200rpm max's.... and the seagate baracuda ata IV seems
good... (but i have had a seagate die on me where i haven't a WD or
max........ but my sample size is way to small to really mean anything)

Jeff

Mutually consenting classes may of course do whatever they like with each
other, but even that doesn't necessarily make it right. -- Programming Perl,
2nd ed
Not all who wander are lost.
Nevermedle in the affaris of wizards (or sysadmins) for they are subtle and
quick to anger.