[KLUG Advocacy] Lindows/"I Hate Linux" rant....

Rusty Yonkers advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 15:47:20 -0700 (PDT)

> I read that little rant (as well as a few other articles on this
> guy's
> site).  Basically, the rant is saying "I hate Linux because I am
> too
> lazy to figure it out.  Change is hard."  (paraphrase)

I think that the one big thing that he is pretty much right on about
is installing software.  RPM works (for the most part) but does not
have an intuitive interface from either the command-line or the GUI.
Yeah it has a lot of functionality but it is still difficult
compaired to other platforms.  Red Carpet is really cool but not
everything is in it.  Compiling code is for programmers.  I have
gotten it to work but if it does not compile the first time and I
have to start tweaking make files or whatever that is called or
setting obscure switches on the compile I am dumping the software and
going somewhere else.  I do not even have the beginning of a clue how
to do it.  The handfull of apps that are just a straight install
(openoffice, yahoo messenger, etc) are really cool but few and far
between.  And the arrogant attitude of induhviduals who think that
everyone in mankind should know how to compile software is just about
as assinine as the Clinton presidency (hmmmm interesting political
comment) or Windows being the savior of the world (hmmmm interesting
quasi-religious comment).

There are also some things that need to be easier to control from the
GUI, like screen resolutions and color depths and network
configurations.  It has gotten MUCH better in the last couple of
years depending on the distro but (escpecially on some) it is still
not great, and RedHat was awful for resetting screens until 8, but
then the rest of the distro started going down the sucky trail what
with bluecurve etc.

I am moving more toward the opinion of Mac on the desktop Linux on
the servers as the best choice in a perfect world. (and by the way I
do not think that everything should be free unlike the jackbooted R.
Stallman)

=====
Rusty Yonkers
CNE, MCP, A+, CCNA, Linux+, Server+, Network+ certified