[KLUG Advocacy] Use Linux where it fits formerly ... Lindows/"I Hate Linux" rant....

Robert G. Brown advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 13:06:54 -0400

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 09:55:08 -0700, Rusty Yonkers <therustycook@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> This can be said of my recent installs, as well... none of the
>> end-users are technically literate, and most of them have been
>> Windows users for some time. I've had Linux deployed to end-users
>> since the Red Hat 5.2
>Once the system is setup it is easy for users to use ... it is the
>setup and configuration that seems to get most people.... at least
>that has been my experience...

This is an enourmous barrier for many people, and Windows built up a huge
market advantage because Microsoft followed through on an idea that Ballmer
and Gates had a long time ago: Push the installation and configuration as
far up the supply chain as possible. If that is done before the product is
in the end-users hands, then (among other things) the perception of
simpolicity and ease of use is maximized.

My experience has been that if you put a machine in front of an end-user
who has problems to solve, and all the stuff visible to the user works
as advertised, trained, and documented, then you have one HAPPY user. I've
seen that this is true without regard to operating system, specific hard-
ware, computer, the problem being solved, the industry we're working in,
or such other details as may crop up from time to time.

							Regards,