[KLUG Advocacy] No OS immune to DOS attacks...

Peter Buxton advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 06:33:36 -0400

On Sun, Sep 14, 2003 at 07:11:31PM -0400, magoo was only escaped
   alone to tell thee:

> Never needed OLE, ADO, MDAC, the SAM, COM/DOM, NetBEUI, and the GDI to
> run a simple word processor in M$ Office... basic composing, spell
> checking, saving, and printing!  My 8 1/2 year old can handle that...

You don't need them until they go awry. Then you find you do. And they
go awry quite often, even at Pharmacia/Pfizer, which had a first-class
Windows setup (maintained, may I add, by geeks).

> The typical end user's intelligence is grossly exaggerated by Linux
> developers.  Hard to see the ground from those lofty towers of Linux
> elitism!

Sentence one cancels sentence two.

As long as the distros want popularity, they will fund developers who
make things easy.

> Hope Linux gets up to the usability level of M$ Win98SE in this
> decade!  Not that most Linux elites will EVER allow that!  Many want
> to maintain their Godly status!  We saw it in the mainframe days of
> the 1960's... dinosaurus DP managerus are almost extinct now!

Yeah, and hovercars and home hydrogen fusion are just around the corner.
Are car mechanics a dying breed in these days of 100,000 mile
warranties? Hardly. They're making as much as they ever did (with more
training, to be sure). So are IT managers. The tools are more
sophisticated, but so are the demands.

--
-4
Johnny Quest has two daddies.