[KLUG Advocacy] Linux turning into Windows?

Bruce Smith advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Mon, 08 Mar 2004 14:59:25 -0500

I can't decide if this is a good idea or a bad one.  They make a good
case for converting all program configs into a registry, but the Windows
registry left such a bad taste in my mouth, I don't know if I can
stomach such a change.  Thoughts?

 - BS

http://freshmeat.net/projects/registry/?branch_id=48188&release_id=153479
http://registry.sourceforge.net/
http://registry.sourceforge.net/spec/html/registry.html

The Linux Registry 0.0.9 (Default)

About:
The Linux Registry is an alternative back-end for text configuration
files.  Instead of each program having its own text configuration files,
the Registry tries to provide a universal and secure framework for
configuration parameters in a hierarchical key-value pair mechanism.
This way, any program can read and save its configuration using a
consistent API and can be aware of other applications configurations,
permitting easy application integration.